Sunday, September 20, 2009

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole


In trying to be a better blogger, I needed to do a quick update today so I decided to share a recipe I really like. Every Friday, Kelly's Korner has a different "Show us your life" theme and this week it's dinner recipes. Although I don't know Kelly, I started reading her blog when her baby girl, Harper, was born and was in the NICU and I have been hooked ever since. I finally decided to join in and contribute something. This is a recipe that a friend made for us after Allison was born and I just LOVE it. I am probably going to make it this week and freeze it for my sister-in-law because she is having a c-section on Thursday and welcoming my first niece into the world! We can't wait to meet you Madelyn! Hope y'all enjoy the recipe!

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

2 (6.2 oz.) pkg. fast cooking long grain and wild rice mix
1/4 c. butter or margarine
2 medium onions, chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
2 (8 oz.) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
5 c. chopped cooked chicken
4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 (16 oz.) container sour cream
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. soft breadcrumbs

Prepare rice mix according to package directions; set aside. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions, celery, and water chestnuts. Sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, chicken, 3 cups of cheese, soup, and next 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 15x10 inch baking dish or a 4-quart casserole. Top casserole evenly with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

2 comments:

Rachel H. said...

So, once you cook this...if you decide to freeze it, how is the best way to prepare it once you take it out of the freezer?

Marlo said...

You know, I just thaw it completely then pop it in the oven. So sorry I am just now replying to this...I just saw it :(